Friday, March 16, 2007

Get Away on Vacation Locally

Sometimes the best things that we can do are right in our own backyard and we never take advantage of them. I know that when I was younger my family and I would travel 200 miles to get away from it all, the funny thing was that a lot of the people that lived in the area that we stayed would leave and drive 200 miles down to our area in order to get away from it all. They were both very similar in the way that they looked but for some reason we never vacationed where we lived, we always made a long trip away. I suppose that a lot of it is really mental. It's a matter of wanting to be far away from your usual surroundings, perhaps because you want to feel like you were away, but how much more could you enjoy a local vacation.

It wasn't until several years ago that I enjoyed my first local vacation. My wife and I live in a very nice area of South Florida and we go away a lot on vacation but one of the things that I never really enjoyed about being away was that you needed to travel so far to get there. Then one day my wife surprised me by booking a room at the beach in a hotel that was less than 10 miles from our home. She packed a small bag and snuck it into the trunk of the car when I wasn't looking and then we ended up going for a drive. While we were passing by the hotel she suggested that we stop and visit the pub and while we were there she told me that she had actually rented a room, it was one of my favorite vacations ever.

Since that time we have stayed locally many nights. It takes the pressure and worry of being so far away from home, even though you are relaxing on vacation, and puts it all behind you. It also gives you a chance to experience your area and some of the tourist attractions that you drive by every day but never took the time to actually visit. So the next time you want to get away and only have a limited amount of time consider taking a local vacation, they are great fun and very relaxing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home