Saturday, January 14, 2006

Putting Things in Perspective

What I'm listening to: Crosby, Stills and Nash-entire album on record.

Every day in this grad school life is a learning experience. I find from time to time I have to wake up and put things in perspective.

One thing that I've come to realize is that it's fallacious to look for 'authentic' connections. In fact, I'm finding discussions of the 'real' to be exceedingly boring. Everything is discourse anyway so why look for some kernel of truth? I like people, I like hanging out with people and I like to have fun. If a bond forges over time, great!

The other thing is that there will always be an abundance of applications out at different times. Being in limbo is a big part of this field-grad school, sessional lecturer, grant applications, trying to get things published, etc. Worrying about them won't solve anything. I've learned to enjoy this field for what it is-love it for what it is, actually. Being in limbo allows for a lot of play.

In short-play, laugh, have fun, and enjoy the transitory space that is grad school. Enjoy it because one is not tied down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home